ADFLY

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Songs are becoming like jingles: Prasoon Joshi


Songs are becoming more like advertising jingles, says ad-man and lyricist Prasoon Joshi who feels that he is dealing with a "very distracted generation" that has a short attention span and is looking for thrills.

"I feel that we are dealing with a very distracted generation. It is becoming more close to what advertising is like. Advertising jingles have a hook and that is what people want," said Joshi, who is known for songs like the emotive "Maa" from "Taare Zameen Par" and the peppy "Masti Ki Paathshala" from "Rang De Basanti".

Explaining the problem further, he said "there is a lot of focus on the starting two lines".

"People would sing one line and would not know what is being said in the next line. Maybe the song is trying to talk to you in the next verses," he told. "...for me, I write the song like a theme. You take the purpose of the song to it's end. At least I do," Joshi said.

As a lyricist, he wants to stay in the minds of people for long.

"I am lucky that I have worked with people who wanted to listen to the whole theme. At least I am trying to do justice with my work, but I feel we are dealing with a generation which needs a lot of thrill in songs.

"Why do you need thrill in songs? It is a song, not alcohol or injection. The song wants to talk to you. Which song do you know hits you like acid and fizzles out. I don't want to make such songs. I want my work to stay in your life for a long time," the 40-year-old said.

Joshi feels that the biggest challenge for writers and lyricists is to grab the attention of the listener.

"The need for music is changing. I think attention span is less. So, it is creating pressure on musicians and music creators like myself to arrest the listeners," he explained.

Apart from penning lyrics for songs, Joshi has also written the screenplay for Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra's upcoming film "Bhaag Milkha Bhaag", a biopic on athlete Milkha Singh, also known as "Flying Sikh".

When asked about giving writers their due credit, he said something more needs to be done in this field.

"This is a very complex subject. The first big question is: are there good writers? And if there are good writers, then where do you feel that injustice is being done? I am also a film writer. I think somewhere something needs to be done. Something more needs to be done to attract more writers. It should be financially very lucrative. Recognition is very important for writers."

amung.us